Prof. Jinyue Yan’s Research Team
We are currently seeking outstanding PhD candidates and postdocs to join our research team in the areas of Smart Urban Energy Systems, Renewable Urban Energy Systems, Digitalization of Energy Systems, and Negative Emission Technologies. Our research team consists of interdisciplinary experts who are committed to tackling the most pressing challenges facing the energy sector today. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and disciplines who are passionate about energy research and are eager to contribute to our team's efforts.
▪ Smart Urban Energy Systems
The research topics focus on developing innovative solutions to improve the flexibility and resilience of future urban energy systems through the interaction of smart urban (including buildings and transport) systems and power grids. As a PhD candidate, you will work on cutting-edge research projects aimed at developing advanced data-driven technologies to characterize, aggregate, and optimize the energy usage of end-users, enabling grid-interactive efficient operation of smart buildings and transport for flexibility-oriented urban energy systems. Applicants must have research experience in electrical engineering, energy and buildings, computer science, or a related field.
▪ Renewable Urban Energy Systems
The research topics focus on developing innovative solutions to reduce energy consumption, promote the use of renewable energy sources, and improve the efficiency of urban energy systems. The successful candidate will work on cutting-edge research projects to develop new technologies and strategies in these areas, with the goal of creating more sustainable and resilient urban energy systems. Applicants must have research experience in engineering, architecture, or a related field.
▪ Digitalization of Energy Systems
The research topics focus on integrating advanced digital technologies into the energy sector to improve efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our PhD program will work on developing new digital solutions for energy management, grid optimization, and energy trading, with a particular emphasis on artificial intelligence, computer science, internet of things, and blockchain. The PhD candidate will work on cutting-edge research projects aimed at developing and improving these digital solutions to improve the efficiency and sustainability of energy systems, and contribute to groundbreaking research that can help to transform the energy sector. Applicants must have research experience in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field.
▪ Negative Emission Technologies
The research topics focus on finding solutions to address the urgent challenges of climate change and the transition to a more sustainable energy system. Our PhD program will work on developing and improving Negative Emission Technologies (NETs), such as carbon capture and storage, afforestation and reforestation, and soil carbon sequestration. The candidate will work on cutting-edge research projects aimed at developing and improving these technologies to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, thereby mitigating the impacts of climate change. Applicants must have research experience in environmental science, chemistry, or a related field.
For a PhD candidate:
▪ A GPA of 3.75/4.0 or above, or being within the top 10% of graduates in a relevant discipline from a reputable university.
▪ A strong academic record indicating research potential.
▪ Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
▪ Proficiency in English, with a minimum score of IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL≥85.
For a postdoc:
▪ A doctoral degree (PhD) or equivalent in the relevant field or a closely related field.
▪ A strong academic record, including a high-quality research publication record and expertise in the specific area of research that the postdoctoral position requires.
▪ Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a research team. Willingness to learn and adapt to new research approaches and methodologies.
▪ Demonstrated ability to develop and carry out research projects.
▪ Experience with grant writing and research proposal development may be an asset, but is not always required.
▪ Opportunities to work with international leading experts in the field.
▪ Access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.
▪ Competitive stipend and benefits package.
▪ Opportunities for professional development and networking.
Interested candidates should submit the following documents:
▪A curriculum vitae outlining their research interests and qualifications.
▪Two letters of recommendation.
▪Copies of academic transcripts and diplomas.
Please send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Target Position, Degree Obtained, Name. For example, "Ph.D., M.Sc. from Peking University, John Smith".
Prof. Yan is an academician of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts and the Chair Professor at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. His research interests include renewable energy, advanced energy systems, climate change mitigation technologies, and related environment and policy. Prof. Yan has published 400+ papers, including articles in Science, Nature Energy, Nature Climate & Nature Communications, and holds 10+ patents. He has supervised nearly 200 post-docs and 50 PhDs, and has received several awards including the Global Human Settlements Award, the EU Energy Islands’ Award, and Top100 Research2Business (Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences). In addition, he is the advisory editor-in-chief of Applied Energy, the founding editor-in-chief of Advances in Applied Energy, the founding editor-in-chief of Nexus, and the founder of several international and inter-disciplinary research and development platforms and events.